So, it looks like just a few tweaks were required to get my jffs2 filesystem working. So, with this phase of the project wrapped up, I'm now onto a really tricked out set of things to do.
1) Build a "from-scratch" version of the system which only contains qte/qtopia and konqueror (plus the associated required stuff)
2) build a version of ruby for the board which strips down to roughly 9 or so mb
3) strip down metasploit to 15mb
4) get a working cheops-esque software on the board
5) general debugging / testing.
I'll post on each one as I do it. Expect that this project will take months upon months.